Christmas Day Fire Leaves Family Homeless

Brittany Nicholson

CROCKETT COUNTY, Tenn. -- A Christmas fire destroys a home in Bells, leaving the family homeless.

Raymond Woodward said he was cooking a Christmas meal for his family when the kitchen went up in flames.

"It was blazing," Woodward said.

He said that's when he got 2nd degree burns on his arm and hands. Woodward ran to save his elderly mom and sister and was able to get them outside. Then, he went back into the house.

"Into the kitchen to see it I could possibly salvage anything. After 3 seconds, I knew I couldn't. It was so hot," Woodward said.

A neighbor said she heard sirens and went outside to see what was happening.

"I just had to come out and see what was going on.. And all I saw was smoke," Dale Ellington said.

Fire officials spent 3 hours putting out the fire. It was a total loss. Woodward says more than anything they lost in the fire were the memories in the house.

"Built the inside literally from scratch. From nail one. We love that place. My father passed away in that house. My plan was to have my mother pass away in her house," he said.

Woodward has been caring for his mother and sister for years. Both have medical problems.

"I cook and clean for them, clean up dirty diapers," he said.

Now homeless, Woodward is most concerned about his family.

"At the top of the list, what concerns them. Me? I need a pair of shoes. Other than that I'm fine."

If you would like to help this family, they have given us a list of items they need as well as contact information.

You can go to our "Seen on 7" page right here on our website.


How often do you visit

  • Daily
  • Weekly
  • Monthly or less