Tools

East Jackson Fire Leaves Woman Homeless

By Laura Bannon
By lbannon@wbbjtv.com

JACKSON, Tenn. - Smoke pouring our of an east Jackson apartment caught neighbors' attention.

Willie Joe Smith, was worried for Latasha Warlick's safety. "I was scared because the policed pulled up in the cars when I was beating on the doors and they asked me if anyone was inside at home," said Smith

Warlick is seven-months pregnant and was not home. Her cousin, Jaahmal Wilbourn who lived near Warlick said the smell of the smoke woke him.

"I ran down the stairs and made sure myself, that I was out of the complex. I was making sure everyone else was out. I then called her on her phone to tell her to come home," explained Wilbourn.

Latasha Warlick told WBBJ 7 Eyewitnesss News, "I was at the Bemis Save a Lot and when I heard that, the food that was in the buggy,
it was just left in the aisle I was on and I ran out"

She rushed home to find smoke pouring out the apartment and to find that everything was a total loss.

"I been here over a year and this has never happened, I left with the dryer on, then came back and everything has been fine, this right here is a mystery to me," said Warlick.

Officials believe that the clothes dryer was the cause of the fire. Family members told WBBJ 7 Eyewitness news that they are just thankful all the children were at school.

"I'm happy my kids were not in there. I'm happy I wasn't there... but it hurts me," said Warlick.
This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.