Tools

Five-Year-Old Saves Family Members in House Fire

By Natalie Potts
By npotts@wbbjtv.com

HAYWOOD COUNTY, Tenn.- One five-year-old boy in Brownsville is being called a hero after saving his family in a house fire, Saturday.

Firefighters said the blaze started around 3 a.m. Saturday from a wood burning stove in the home.

Homeowners Mike and Paula Brown told WBBJ 7 Eyewitness News that they only had minutes to rescue all five grandchildren from the home before it was engulfed in flames.

"When I opened the door, the flames came out of the door so I ran outside, got the water hose, and came back in and started spraying it," said owner Mike Brown.

Brown said he realized the entire roof was on fire as the ceiling began to fall. As Brown fought off the flames, his wife, Paula, searched the home for her missing five-year-old grandson.

"Everything was coming down and I had to go in, I thought I can't leave my grandbabies in there," said Paula Brown. "The smoke was so thick, everything was so black, so finally I just had to start feeling."

Paula said she found her grandson the third time running back into the burning home, then carried him out while blinded by the smoke.

"The smoke was so thick, so all I could do was just drag him out," said Paula Brown.

The Browns said it was their five-year-old grandson, Taylor, who smelled the smoke and took action. Brown said Taylor had stayed up late to play on his X-Box, smelled the smoke, then woke up his grandparents for help.

"If he hadn't been there we probably wouldn't be here today because we were asleep and that smoke would have gotten to us and we would have been over with," said Mike Brown. "When he smelt that smoke, he knew what to do and he is our little hero."

Firefighters told WBBJ 7 Eyewitness News that the home was destroyed. The only items the Browns were able to salvage were the pictures in their wallets and the clothes on their back.

"We don't have nothing but we have each other, I got my grandbabies and that's all that matters," said Paula Brown.

Firefighters said they were dispatched to the home after drivers who saw the blaze from the interstate stopped and called for help.

Family members said the Browns need clothing and immediate essentials. If you would like to help, call the Brown Family at (731) 443-2882.

Most Popular

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Most Popular