Gates Street Fire Destroys Home; One Sent to Hospital

7 Eyewitness News Staff

A fire in east Jackson heavily damaged a home and sent one woman to the hospital early Monday afternoon.

Firefighters said when the house on Gates Street caught fire around 2 p.m., a 93-year-old woman and her sitter were inside. Both were able to get out. However, the sitter was taken by ambulance for possible smoke inhalation.

The fire appears to have started around a window air conditioner unit that was plugged in through extension cords, a practice not recommended by fire officials due to the potential for shorting out.

Witnesses say the flames appeared and spread very quickly. "I saw fire coming from the air conditioner and it just went up," said Rachel Jones.

Firefighters estimate half of the house was damaged by flames while the other half sustained smoke and heat damage.

Due to the intense temperatures and heat from the fire, firefighters were closely watched and limited to about 20 minutes of work at at time.


How often do you visit

  • Daily
  • Weekly
  • Monthly or less