Tools

Parents Mad They Were Not Notified in Elementary School Cutting

By Natalie Potts
By npotts@wbbjtv.com

HENDERSON COUNTY, Tenn.- Some parents are taking their children out of Beaver Elementary School because they said school officials failed to notify them of an assault against two children in class last week.

Henderson County Deputies arrested a 12-year-old boy Thursday for cutting two other children in his class with a razor blade.

Sheriff Brian Duke told WBBJ 7 Eyewitness News that deputies discovered through their investigation that the assault happened on Wednesday. Sheriff Duke said there were many discrepancies found in the original report. Officials said the time line of events contradicts the school's order of events.

Parent Crystal Martone kept her daughter home from school Monday and plans to place her daughter into another school because the school did not notify them of the assault.

"We shouldn't have to be afraid to send our child to school to get an education but that's what it has come down to," said Martone. "I mean we send her to school y'all are supposed to keep her safe, y'all are supposed to notify us and keep us in the loop of what is going on. We know about every fundraiser they want to do but we don't know that a child gets cut with a razor blade in her school?"

Beaver Elementary School Principal Scott Carter told WBBJ 7 Eyewitness News that he is following the school board policies and procedures. He said that the parents were not notified because he did not believe their children were in immediate danger. He also said that all of the parents would have been notified without hesitation, if the children were in danger.

Parents said the key to trusting that their kids are safe in school is communication and that the communication breakdown has broken their trust.

"How many kids got to get hurt before it's necessary before parents gets communicated with," asked parent Valerie McGirt.

The father of one of the injured boys told WBBJ 7 Eyewitness News that he too was not aware of the assault until his son came home from school with cuts on his arms.

"I understand things are going to happen but at least keep us in the loop of whats going on we shouldn't of had to find out from Channel 7 News that a kid was cut with a razor blade at our daughter's school," said Martone.

Sheriff Duke said it is unclear when school officials became aware of the assault. He said school officials either knew of the assault on Wednesday and waited to report it, or did not know of the assault until Thursday when it was reported to deputies. Their investigation is ongoing.