28 Students Spend Night in Hospital after Gas Leak

news scripts

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - More than two dozen students from a Nashville school have been admitted to a hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Drexel Preparatory Academy Principal Cheryl Bowman told WTVF-TV students began coming to the office Monday morning, complaining of seemingly flu-like symptoms. Officials decided to cancel classes.

But after students were sent home, the school got a call from Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital, saying several students had been brought in and showed high levels of carbon monoxide. By 9 p.m., 37 of the school's students had been brought to the hospital. Of that number, 28 were admitted and put on oxygen overnight.

Repair workers found a hole in the heating unit that serves the central part of the building, where the kindergarten and first-grade classes are located.


How often do you visit

  • Daily
  • Weekly
  • Monthly or less