Tools

Mulch and Heat cause KY House Fire

By news admin

Fire officials in Winchester believe extremely hot weather caused bagged mulch to spontaneously combust, heavily damaging a home.
Chief Ernest Barnes says four bags of mulch were piled together where the fire began on Thursday afternoon.
Barnes said mulch decomposes and the plastic bags trap moisture, raising the temperature and allowing the shredded wood to break into flame. Barnes suggested bringing home no more mulch than a homeowner plans to quickly spread.
Its reported that two people were inside the house when the fire began and both were able to get out safely.
This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.