Firework safety tips
SOUTH JACKSON -- More than twice the number of fires are reported on the Fourth of July than any other day of the year across the U.S., and two of five of those fires are caused by fireworks.
The use of fireworks within the city of Jackson is illegal, so the Jackson Fire Department suggests families attend a public display conducted by professionals. They urge you not to use consumer fireworks.
These tips, from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, will help consumers avoid injuries:
-Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
-Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a -danger to consumers.
-Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don't realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees - hot enough to melt some metals.
-Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
-Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
-Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
-Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
-Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
-Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
-After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.