Mr. Food Recipe for Shells with Broccoli
Close your eyes and you're in the south of Italy! Well, not quite, but this is a popular way to enjoy pasta the way Southern Italians do.
Cooking Time: 20 min
What You'll Need:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt Pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 pound shell pasta or similar shape 1 head broccoli, cut into florets with 1-inch stems localoffersIcon
- 1/4 pound pepperoni, diced 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
What To Do: In a small skillet over low heat, heat olive oil and butter until melted; stir in garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and crushed red pepper.
Cook until garlic is soft, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Do not let the garlic brown.)
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta and broccoli 8 to 10 minutes, or until both are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking water.
Place pasta and broccoli in a large bowl. Toss with garlic mixture, reserved cooking water, and pepperoni. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.