Fire destroys home near Yorkville


Yorkville fire


GIBSON COUNTY, Tenn. — A Thursday afternoon fire destroys a home just outside Yorkville.

Officials with the Gibson County Fire Department say they were called around 1 p.m. after a passerby noticed a house was on fire on Baseline Road.

They say the person who reported the fire also knocked on the door to alert the woman who lived in the home as she was inside watching TV.

Investigators believe the blaze began when a wood stove caught the attic on fire.

Firefighters were able to quickly respond because a number of volunteers were across the street at Christmas party, according to the department.

While the house is expected to be a total loss, fire officials say they were able to save many of the family heirlooms and photos inside.

Categories: Local News, News