Hours long manhunt ends with alleged gunman still on the loose
HENDERSON, Tenn.– A nearly three-hour-long manhunt in Henderson ends with an alleged gunman still on the loose.
A helicopter circled in the sky, while deputies trekked through yards and a wooded area attempting to locate convicted felon, Gary Hart.
Henderson Police Department’s assistant police chief, Leon Johnson said Hart had been in jail until last Friday.
“They should have kept him in jail,” Christine Lancaster said. Lancaster lives in the search area.
A familiar face to law enforcement, investigators said they were called to the area to investigate a report of two shots fired into the air. Hart, allegedly the gunman had reportedly been arguing with a family member when he fired and fled into the nearby woods.
During the search, Chester County Schools went into lockdown mode. A decision Madden, a mother of two students, supported.
“Because you never know what’s going to happen,” she said.
In February of this year, police were involved in a standoff with Hart for more than five hours. They said he barricaded himself inside a home.
Despite the manhunt being called off Tuesday, investigators do not believe Hart is still in the area.
Police records show Hart has a criminal history in Henderson dating back six years.
Hart is a convicted felon with convictions for firearms, burglaries and drug charges.