Arraignment held for man accused of shooting at police

JACKSON, Tenn. — There are new details on a shooting that occurred in Jackson last week.

Steve Gerald Johnson was arraigned, and faces charges ranging from attempted first-degree murder, reckless endangerment, and resisting arrest.

According to court documents, early in the morning on Nov. 24, Johnson called 911 from his home.

He told dispatchers to call, “their boys off because they were going to kill him as soon as he left his home.” He added that people are going to kill him.

He then stated he would meet police outside and indicated he was not armed, but had weapons inside.

Johnson called 911 six more times, accusing JPD of conspiring to kill or harm him. He requested officers to come to his home.

Shortly after the call, two officers arrived and met Johnson standing in his front yard.

One of the officer’s body cameras showed Johnson laying down in the front yard and telling the officers to call more police.

Officers asked what they could do and Johnson would not respond.

He then stood up and said he was going to grab a jacket and walked inside his home.

As officers walked with him to the front door, Johnson shut the door and told the officers they could not help him.

As the officers were leaving, multiple gunshots came from inside the home and struck multiple houses around them.

Johnson then came back outside and laid down in the front yard.

Officers told Johnson to not move, but he got back up and ran inside the home, where he fired another shot from inside.

Additional officers arrived and established a perimeter, but were unaware Johnson had fled the home.

He was later located naked on Windy Hill Road after breaking a window at a home six houses north west of his own.

According to the court documents, investigators obtained a search warrant for Johnson’s home, and observed more than a dozen bullet holes inside the home.

Rounds had been fired through the front and rear door, and all four sides of the home.

The investigator recovered multiple spent shell casings of three different calibers and two rifles inside the house.

An officer recovered one handgun in the front yard, and one handgun in the back yard.

Johnson’s bond was set at $150,000, and his preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 9 at 9:30 a.m.

You can find more local news through the WBBJ 7 Eyewitness News app.

Categories: Crime, Local News, News