Madison Co. Fire Department gives tips on how to use heaters safely

PINSON, Tenn. — Friday morning, the Madison County Fire Department responded to a fire that investigators say was caused by a space heater.

Madison County Fire Marshal Don Friddle says to make sure there is plenty of room around your heater.

“We like to recommend a 3-foot radius around the heater and not have any combustibles near it,” Friddle said.

He says as the temperatures drop outside, people turn to other ways to stay warm inside, such as fire places.

“If there’s any creosote build up in the chimney, there’s a high potential that could catch fire,” Friddle said.

He says to have your chimney professionally inspected once a year.

Officials at the Madison County Fire Department recommend getting space heaters with the safety features.

“We would recommend getting the space heater that has that feature on it so if it is accidentally knocked, over it will shut off,” Friddle said.

The owner of the building that caught fire said thankfully no one was hurt, and everything inside can be replaced.

Anytime you do have a space heater running, the Madison County Fire Department says turn it off when you leave so it doesn’t end up burning down your home.

Categories: Local News, News