Safety tips for winter weather
JACKSON, Tenn. — The Jackson Fire Department has released a list of safety tips due to the threat for inclement weather across West Tennessee.
- Be alert to the possibility of electrical hazards. A heavy build-up of ice or snow on trees and power lines can cause widespread power outages. Prolonged outages can increase the risk of residential fires.
- Stay away from downed power lines and be alert to the possibility that tree limbs or debris may hide an electrical hazard.
- Treat all downed and hanging power lines as if they are energized. Contact the electric utility.
- A power line does not need to be sparking or arcing to indicate it is energized.
- Other utility lines can become energized if they come in contact with an electrical line.
- Lines that appear to be “dead can become re-energized as crews work to restore power, or sometimes from improper use of improperly installed generators.
- Make sure your smoke and carbon dioxide alarms have fresh batteries are working.
- Never use candles for emergency lighting as things can catch on fire.
- Use flashlights for emergency lighting and stock up on extra batteries.
- Never use your stove or oven to heat your home.
- Never use a charcoal grill inside the home or in an enclosed area because charcoal grills give off deadly carbon monoxide gas.
- Generators can be deadly if they are not used correctly. Do not run a generator in an enclosed or partially enclosed structure. Keep generators outside in a dry, protected area and away from windows or air intake.
For more information, call (731) 425-8350.